Click on the video to find out more about Leadership 2025 from our participants and mentors of year 1.
The Leadership 2025 Course has been running since 2017 and has been completed by five cohorts. The course is available exclusively to senior leaders from BME backgrounds working in the housing sector and is an intensive 9-month leadership development programme, in partnership with Roffey Park. At its heart, Leadership 2025 aims to support and empower BME senior professionals to become sector leaders of the future.
In 2024, we will update and relaunch the course incorporating the feedback and perspective of alumni, industry experts and educators. We look forward to inviting applications for the next cohort.
The programme is aimed at senior leaders in the housing sector. The senior leaders can include:
- Second tier Executive members
- CEOs of small HAs
- Exec and CEO ready individuals
This programme will create leaders which will subsequently create gaps for junior members to progress upwards to fill these positions. The aim of the programme will be to attract and retain smart individuals.
For those who are not quite ready for this programme but would like to develop their leadership experience, either the Future of London Leaders’ or Future of London Leaders’ Plus programmes may be the one for you.
While there may be some changes to content and timings, Leadership 2025 is made up of the following key components:
1. 360-degree feedback
The Leadership 2025 programme kicks off with a comprehensive 360-degree feedback tool which provides participants with insight into how they are perceived as a leader, using eight leadership competencies:
- Providing direction
- Influencing others
- Fostering teamwork
- Developing others
- Motivating others
- Championing change
- Consciously learning
2. Launch day
The launch day is the first opportunity for the group to work together and covers:
- Mapping the Field of Leadership – understanding the field of leadership within the context of the housing sector and beyond
- Where Have I Been? – exploring the journey that participants have taken which has made them the senior leaders they are today
- Where Am I Now? – reviewing the results of their 360-degree feedback survey
- Where Do I Want to Go? – developing the learning contracts that will underpin the programme
3. Leadership 2025 Core Programme
These one-day sessions form the backbone of the programme and provide participants with a comprehensive and unique learning experience. Each day will be a combination of reflective, peer group and practical learning on topics tailored to the group’s needs. Held at different organisations’ locations, these learning sets are supportive, challenging and rigorous. This will give a unique opportunity to dive deep into, and learn from, other organisations in the sector.
4. Senior Leadership Development Programme
Each participant will attend Roffey Park’s Senior Leadership programme. Delivered over a period of nine months, the programme comprises of:
- Residential programme (3.5 days) – topics covered are designed to develop an understanding of the importance of:
- organisational purpose
- the ability to lead with strategic agility
- navigating the complex and political nature of organisations to get things done
- Learning set days with ‘Organisational Raids’ (3 x 1 day) – the aim of this element is to develop strategic thinking and work on live case studies of visits to other organisations, hosted by set members. These visits will provide a rich and rewarding experience, combined with the chance to learn from organisations outside the housing sector.
- Final Residential and Strategic Stock-take (1.5 days) – Finally, the group will come together to review their learning journeys on the programme and cover two new topics:
- Leading in a Digital Age
- Leading with Presence
5. Additional learning opportunities
Participants will also have the opportunity to take advantage of a range of optional offers to consolidate their learning. These include mentoring and coaching, as well as a 25% discount on other leadership programmes offered by Roffey Park
6. Mentor Support
Leadership 2025 have been lucky to work with some fantastic mentors who are leaders within the housing sector and who bring a wealth of experience and knowledge to share with participants.
Each participant will be provided with one such mentor throughout the programme.
The programme also include master classes covering technical housing skills, such as finance and treasury management, the complexities of development and other key knowledge areas.
The aim of mentoring support and masterclasses will be to provide real world examples, personal experience and practical learning to supplement the programme.
You can read more about our mentors and masterclasses here:
This programme will be open to any senior BME leaders working in housing associations. Places are limited to six per cohort. On submitting an application, candidates will be invited to attend a selection process which will consist of a formal interview. Our FAQs can be found here.
To apply, candidates will be asked to complete an online application and submit the following:
- An up-to-date CV (maximum 4 pages)
- A supporting statement (maximum 2 pages) outlining your motivation for applying to the programme and evidencing your suitability for selection
- A statement of recommendation (one page only) from your sponsoring organisation.